A Dance Studio Offering Ballet for Preschoolers & More
Dance Class for Preschoolers Benefits Development
Ballet for preschoolers is a fantastic way for kids to move in a fun environment. At Velocity Dance Center, we introduce preschoolers to ballet through our Leap ‘N Learn program. Developed by child psychologist Dr. Annie Spell and master teacher Beverly Spell, Leap ‘N Learn is an early childhood dance program. It capitalizes on a child’s naturally occurring cognitive and neural development and encourages pretend play in a nurturing, positive environment.
Why Choose Leap ‘N Learn Ballet for Preschoolers
At Velocity Dance Center in Oklahoma City, we’ve designed our early childhood dance program for kids starting at age three. And our ballet for preschoolers is for children from ages three to five. Besides helping to build a strong dance foundation, the Leap ‘N Learn ballet program for preschoolers is also fun and interactive. It’s a holistic approach that focuses on:
- Elementary ballet movements and positions
- Musical and spatial awareness
- Coordination, balance, and motor skills
- Following directions and listening
- Social skills
Additionally, Leap ‘N Learn classes integrate emotional, social, and cognitive skills, including:
- Imagination, creativity, and self-expression
- Basic health and body awareness
Through Leap ‘N Learn, your child will develop a love – or appreciation – for ballet.
What Our Classes Are Like
We limit our classes to six to 15 kids, and classes are 45 minutes. Also, our dance teachers have trained in the Leap ‘N Learn curriculum. That means they have the knowledge to balance dance techniques and creative expressions with child development psychology. They get to know the songs associated with ballet movements and are always learning something new. The connection preschoolers have to this program is pure magic!
A dress code is part of traditional dance training with the following benefits:
- Creates uniformity
- Helps dancers mentally prepare for class
- Allows the teacher to give students corrections
We understand that occasionally a dancer may be out of the dress code due to unforeseen circumstances. However, for preschool ballet classes, we expect children to wear:
- Tights – full-footed pink or skin-toned worn over the feet in shoes
- Leotard – solid light pink with no skirt
- Shoes – Bloch Bunny Hop ballet shoes or Blendz skin-toned leather ballet shoes
- Hair – pulled off the face in a bun or full ponytail with bobby pins, hair elastics, and clips as needed
Also, we invite parents to their child’s dance classes on our live streaming option, WatchMeGrow. This approach allows teachers and students to focus on the dance instruction.
If you are worried about your child experiencing separation anxiety, we are here to help. First, know that it’s normal for children to show distress, anger, and sadness when separated from their primary caregiver within the early childhood years (0-5 years). Because we know this can be unsettling for all parties involved, we share tips to help manage the distress.